Google Analytics

Monday, October 17, 2011

Dining in Charleston - 82nd Queen

Not Recommended
82nd Queen: sorry, not up to our standards, so no link
Map Link: sorry, not up to our standards, so no link


Everything in this blog is my opinion.  It shouldn't be taken as fact, just my opinion.  It's my opinion, and I'm entitled to it.  It's taken me a lot of years of experience, education, and money spent on dining out to form it.
  
We've eaten at this restaurant many times over the years.  In the past, it's been something we looked forward to.  Hell - we even have their cookbook!

No more!

On this trip, I had the BBQ Shrimp and Grits, while my wife had a cup of She-Crab Soup, and the CrabCake Sliders.

I had eaten Shrimp and Grits at Hominy Grill just a day or so before, and those were excellent.  Imagine my dismay when I first tasted this nondescript meal!  There was no flavor!  I was unable to locate the BBQ in the so-called BBQ Shrimp.  Instead, there was a red, sweet paste that was spread out over the top of the grits, with the shrimp sitting in this paste.  It tasted identical, to my taste-buds, as if I had poured Ketchup over my shrimp and called it BBQ.  Maybe that's not what they did - there's no way I can know for sure, but that certainly is what it tasted, and looked like, to me!  I hope I was wrong!  But if it's that close.....  The grits had no flavor.  They didn't appear to have been seasoned at all; I had to add copious amounts of salt just to give them a hint of flavor.  Compare these, in my opinion, silly little attempts to that presented at Hominy Grill, and you'll understand both my surprise, as well as my disappointment!

Hearing of my displeasure, my wife offered up one of her CrabCake sliders.  I love crabcakes; it has been one of my favorite items ever since first having them at Calabash NC when I was a youngster.  I frequently get CrabCakes for appetizer at any seafood restaurant.  So I bit into this slider, ... and spit it out!  Are you kidding me?  Who spits out CrabCakes?  This thing tasted of oily fish, like it was cooked along in week-old fish-fry oil.  Nasty and Grose!  To my knowledge, this was the worst CrabCake I had ever sampled, and I've eaten CrabCakes all my life, and I'm going on 60!  So that's saying, in my opinion, this was pretty bad.

This was our last time at this restaurant!

No comments:

Post a Comment